Monday 15 July 2013

GSoC - Week4

Hi! - I am a day late this time I guess. So this week I have mainly been finalizing Vizier. I have also worked on some code for the next module i.e. NED... though its a WIP and I am yet to make a PR.

Apart from this there were a couple of other auxilliary commits this week mainly to make work easy for the mainstream PRs. So there were PRs - #126, #127 and #128.

One very useful thing I learnt during these PRs was rebasing a git branch. Basically there were some conflicting commits and so the branch couldn't be automatically merged in the master. So I needed to rebase - resolve those conflicts and force update my PR's ( had to do this with two of the PRs!). I hadn't much familiarity with rebasing but astropy's documentation came out to be very handy. One interesting tool that I also learnt to work with is Meld. Meld is a visual tool that can give a huge helping hand in those 3 way merges - you have the local file, the remote file and the conflicting file that you must fix. With Meld all these files and the differences between them are visualized in one window - with simple clicks you can decide the diff you want to go with and lo presto you are done!

Another quite unrelated but very useful thing I found is that IPython has this lovely feature in which you can just feed in code with all the leading prompts(>>>) and (...) (for instance if you are copying from some docs, etc) and you don't need to do any editing, IPython understands that this is code meant to be executed. I realize (after reading this again) that I may not sound very obvious so read this up at the official IPython docs. It is a real time saver!

So Long :)


No comments:

Post a Comment